Antioxidant and neuroprotective properties of blueberries :
- Contributes in the prevention of some cancers and degenerative diseases
- Prevents a decline in brain functions associated with ageing
- Prevents eye diseases by slowing the retinopathy and diabetic angiopathies processes, glaucoma and cataract
- Treats mucositis of the mouth and throat
- Strengthens capillaries and helps the contractile function of blood vessels
- Helps reducing blood glucose (hypoglycaemic)
- Reduces diarrhea (dried fruits only)
The annals of folk medicine are also filled with many more examples of how to use the blueberry. In the past, they infused the roots to alleviate pains of women during childbirth and blueberry syrup was a remedy against cough. Blueberries and their European cousins, called “myrtilles” have long been associated with having a good eyesight. Modern science is only starting to discover what ancient cultures have been knowing for long: blueberries have important health benefits.
Blueberries have proven their beneficial effects on health so let’s add them to our menu without hesitating! They will enhance the taste of our meals in addition to offering us the most precious gift: health!